Tuesday 17 April 2012

sketchbook project update: bookish

These are the centre pages of my sketchbook (click for a better view). I've been doing quite a lot with my colour pencils lately. This page is supposed to be soft, sweet and dreamy, with a retro feel, and was inspired by the children's books I read with my son.

My sketchbook theme is "why did the owl make everyone laugh?" My take on it has been to see myself in this owl and use it to explore my fears about other people's perception of me. It has taken me back to my childhood memories and I've been thinking about how my childhood both encouraged me to be creative and made me afraid of failure.

Along the way I've been enjoying trying out lots of different styles and approaches. It is truly a sketchbook - a learning process and a process of discovery, rather than a polished, finished work (or works) of art.

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it" (Pablo Picasso)

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...