Thursday 9 February 2012

the past is another country

If you click on this image, you'll get a better look at this small glimpse of my family history. The little boy on the fence is my maternal grandfather, the toddler at the front his younger brother. This was taken in the Seychelles in 1908 and my mother recently gave me a copy. 

It makes me feel slightly dizzy to see these faces - all of whom were dead before I was born - staring back at me from so far away in time and space. But I love it nonetheless, this little trace of my roots.

We don't know who the woman is standing in the doorway, behind this little group. There's so much we'll never know about the past. Still, I'm glad to see where my grandfather (who died in 1945) was born.

p.s. don't you love the giant corsage and chevron pattern on my great-grandmother's dress?!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...